Tuesday, October 20, 2009

What I love about writing

What I love about writing:

--The thrill of nailing a particular sentence, scene, or moment.
--Getting good advice, talking through a scene, or just plain commiserating/communing with other writers.
--Hearing a fellow writer has "made" it: gotten an agent, sold their book, made the list.
--Feeling like I have a "project" going that will hopefully one day move from my hands and heart into the public's.
--Feeling like I am an artist, creator, and the Queen of all I imagine.

What I dislike about writing:

--The subjectivity. Is someone giving me a good critique, or should I go with my gut?
--The despair of knowing a particular scene, sentence, or moment is DEFINITELY going to need a rewrite, but trying to push past it when the words won't come.
--(And if I'm painfully honest?) Hearing a fellow writer has "made" it: gotten an agent, sold their book, made the list.

But we keep doing it, we push past the insecurity and certain self doubt and live for the days like today when someone says, "Yours stood out. It had a voice." And it's not because we're glory hounds-- it's knowing we're not crazy. It's outside validation that we should continue, so we can someday be the one with the good news.

1 comment:

  1. I'm writing a chapter right now that will definitely need a rewrite, and yeah, it's not coming very well. :/

    ReplyDelete