Sunday, August 23, 2009

Going for it

The truth is, sometimes it *is* about quantity. Even in writing, heck, especially writing. If we only wrote when we were really "feeling it," our muse on our shoulder giving us words of perfect inspiration, we'd never finish a work. That's why I think what fellow blogger and writer Megan Rebekah did was both brave and industrious. She challenged herself to write 10,000 words on Saturday. As I understand it, this is not the first, nor will it likely be the last time she does this.

Even if you don't end up keeping HALF of your words from that day, you've still got the other 5,000, which is a heck of a lot more than I usually get out in a day. So the next Saturday my husband takes the kids to the in-laws, I plan to take the challenge.

Until then, I'm writing tonight, and will probably make it to 1,000, and that's not too bad for a normal day.

How do you write? Do you have a deadline for your WIP? A plan to reach that goal?

5 comments:

  1. Definitely let me know when you decide to do it and I'll try to squeeze in another one. Maybe this time it will get saved properly and not eaten by my wonky laptop!

    (I'll make sure it gets saved by emailing it to myself where my laptop can't touch it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to do 2K a day and that got hairy. I try to aim for 1K a day now and always seem to hit my mark. 10K in a weekend? My husband would divorce me by the time I got to 7K! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10,000 seems like a lot for a day. I support you on this, though. Great job, both you and MR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan-- yay! It won't be for a bit, since I'm starting back to teaching tomorrow, but in a few weeks, I think.

    T.Anne-- 1K a day is excellent!

    Emily -- yes, it's a lot. Even if I only get halfway there, I'd be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fell in love with the 10K day after linking to it from MeganRebekah's blog. I have yet to make it to a full 10K, and I have yet to be able to dedicate myself to an entire day what with 5 rugrats on the go, but I found that even having the goal niggling away at the back of my brain helped to motivate me to turn out even more than I normally would. It's great fun!

    ReplyDelete