Thursday, July 30, 2009

Reader or Writer?

If there were a job where reading whatever interests you and then discussing it at length with intriguing people were the requirements, I would so be your girl.

I've realized something. Honestly, it's something I've always known and pushed to the back left corner of my mind because I didn't want it to be true, but here it is: I enjoy reading more than writing. It feels like I'm not as committed if I'm not absolutely defined by the fact that I write, write, write.

The truth is I love to read. A lot of us love to read, yes, especially writers, but I mean, I can literally do it from the time the sun rises to the time it goes back down. This week I've read a biography, a drama, a non-fiction textbook about madness from the 1970's, and a pure sugar and fluff YA book about kissing and social status in high school. And I have a horror and a chick lit in queue by the bed. I eat books, feeling full when I'm finished (momentarily), hungry when half through, ravished at the first page.

I am so many people when I read. My thoughts run deeper and my words run shorter (talking not writing), and I can't think of a better side effect than that.

I'm curious-- if you're happening by-- are you more writer or reader? I believe I am a reader who writes rather than a writer who reads. And I'm okay with that.

5 comments:

  1. Was the YA book The ABCs of kissing Boys by any chance? I read that book and thought it was cute.

    I am a huge reader. And for me one of the biggest drawbacks in writing is that I don't read as much, and when I do read I am much more ctitical than I ever used to be. I hate that. I wish I could turn off my inner editor/critic and go back to my naive, fun reading days. Reading is still fun, but just not quite the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself editing every book I read too.

    Haha, it IS the ABC's of kissing boys. Very cute, but I find the short sentences/fragment thing a little halting. Cute idea though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a writer who reads. Sort of. I started out as a reader who wrote, but then I liked my stories better than the ones I was reading. Two years ago I went through a dry patch where I couldn't make myself read anything at all, but lately I've rediscovered the fun of reading... so I'm evening out. Thank goodness. Reading helps my prose so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, that's a tough one. On the one hand, I could definitely sit around all day and read (okay, have done...), and on the other hand, if the kids weren't around to hassle me, I could definitely sit around and write all day too. I think you can either be a reader, or you're a writer who reads.

    Is it truly possible to be a reader who writes? Because if you could really give up on the writing, you would, wouldn't you? After all, it's so much less stressful (and enjoyable) to just be a reader. Once you cross over, reading isn't the same (because of the whole inner critic/writer thing like MeganRebekah said). Does that make sense? It does in my head, but that doesn't always mean anything (and it's getting late) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a writer. I certainly read but as of late (read: in the last decade) I have not been consumed by any one text as I have been reading it to the point of it defining me. Any given interesting text certainly has great influence on my conversations for a time but scarcely more than that. My writing, on the other hand, takes me to far more fantastic places than any other writers writing. I find that any book that I read that is truly moving to me is one that I identify with on some level and perhaps this is because this story, or the most intriguing aspects of it to me is somewhere inside me as well. Investigating these possibilities through my own writing is extremely engrossing to me. Probably because I am clearly a self-worshiping sycophant. That blows. I need to get over myself and read more.

    ReplyDelete