Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Bellevue is a State of Mind

It's clean white linens and a nice breeze in the window today. I am resting, rejuvenated, yet bored.

I'm reading a fascinating book called Bellevue is a State of Mind by Anne Barry. She was a journalist who pretended to be crazy to have herself thrown into Bellvue beck in the 70's to find out for herself if the stories were true. It's just mesmerizing. It's a pretty quick read too, I should finish it tonight. I wonder what became of the women she wrote about; where did their lives lead them after they left that locked, purple door?

It also (being a mental hypochondriac) has me questioning my own sanity, a common practice for me. I suppose we are all a little paranoid, a little neurotic.

I would kill for central air.

2 comments:

  1. Too funny! I'm a bit of mental hypochondriac myself. Especially in the age of the internet, when it's so easy to self diagnose.

    Sounds like an interesting book though. I'm going to have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so behind, having not found this until today. However, I had to post my sympathies for your mental hypochondria. I double-majored in English and psychology back in the day, so I'm always self-diagnosing with different disorders :-)

    ReplyDelete