Monday, May 11, 2009

On Writing in Dreams

I feel a new day dawning.

I think I've got work. I'm meeting with the community college adjunct coordinator next Monday. She said she's got one or two classes for me this summer. Better than that, my alma mater, the university which I just graduated from offered me a class this fall. There are good things just around the corner.

I dreamed that I met Stephen King, and we were talking about writing. He was sitting across from me at a restaurant, and we were discussing the finer points of dialogue, description, the overuse of adverbs, and the dreaded passive voice. And I felt like the air was as full of him as his chair- he just filled the room, his presence. It was electric, and I wanted to have it, that electricity, to hold lightning in my hands.

I wanted to know what it was like to capture whole people with words.

No comments:

Post a Comment