Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Whining, feel free to move along, just don't scuff the chalk around my prone frame

It's crunch time, and I'm not gonna choke.

That's right, I said "gonna." I'm writing my thesis, the last bits of it, and one of my characters is written with a slight accent. She's sloppy, and I'm worried this isn't going to read well. I personally detest reading through thick dialect, it's why I missed out on Faulkner's As I Lay Dying. It just made my neck hurt and my eyes squint too much to commit to the hours it would take to finish.

Yes, I'm weak, and dialect is my kryptonite.

So I hope mine's not too heavy. It's just a few G's left off the ends, like "anythin'," with a couple of ain'ts tossed in for good measure.

It's hard to believe that I'll be done with school (or this leg of it anyway) in just four and a half weeks. In three and a half weeks I'll be done with work and class, a week from graduation.

Master's in hand, I'll conquer that novel and then move on to the query and agent route. I shall prevail? Does it bug anyone else that Stephenie Meyer landed the first BIG agent she queried? Girl can't write. Great plot ideas, but c'mon. The tweens love her, though, marble foreheads, creepy stalker boyfriend and all.

In other news, I found out yesterday that a story of mine made it past the first round of eliminations in a contest. w00 to the hoo! Mostly, it's the prize money that has me salivating.

Random pet peeve: I hate when people write dialogue without contractions. Do you not live in the real world? Unless a character's being emphatic, it's always the contraction.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on your thesis!
    LOl about dialogue without contraction's, I feel the same way. It's like reading your way through a cardboard box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the contest! Which one is it? Did you write a short story or something longer?
    Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judith, it was for WOW Women on Writing, a flash fiction contest. :)

    ReplyDelete