Saturday, April 18, 2009

Today I had another reading. This one was more formal, a part of my thesis followed by questions. I chose to read one story and the prologue for my thesis, both which I'd written just last week. When I finished reading there were a few quiet gasps, just the sort of reaction I adore.

It's always so gratifying to read my work, though I'm HORRIBLE at taking compliments. I feel like a total dork, and I just don't know what to say. One of the girls said, "I can't wait to read your book!" To which I said, "Me either..." haha. The thesis is a small collection of stories, but I plan to turn it into novel this summer. Ha, I say that like I think it's going to be easy -- I don't.

Anyway. Another good day. And my thesis is in. Turned in, finished, oveh babeh.

Now to write that final paper and work for one more week. Then FREEDOM!

Question: Have you ever read writing for someone, maybe not even particularly a friend or whatever, but they're terrible. I mean, it's not even subjective, they're so bad... you're embarrassed for them. What do you say to them? Or do you not? Oh, and I should add, this guy is getting all of this good feedback. People telling him he's amazing. I have no idea what to say. I know writing is objective, but if you read a lot you learn to recognize good reading, and well, this was just so bad.

1 comment:

  1. Who is giving this guy good feedback? Friends and family? Or random strangers on the internet? Who ever they are, they might not have the knowledge to judge the writing, or if they know him personally the might not want to hurt his feelings.
    What should you tell him? It depends I think. If he plans on writing something to be published I think you should be as honest as possible while still remaining polite, and always throw in at least one positive note (You have a truly amazing concept, but....).
    If the guy is just writing for fun, and doesn't intend to pursue publishing, then humor him a little, and maybe pepper in a few subtle suggestions. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete