Monday, April 20, 2009

On agents and those all important first 250 words

So. I got 2 out of 3 of the published books in Nathan's little experiment. The third book made my short list, but ultimately is in a genre I never read, so I felt I couldn't represent it. (Yes, I might have taken his experiment a little too seriously)

It really opened my eyes to how difficult agents have it, and to reiterate how tough we writers have it. It was tough to really tell if a book was going to be any good by just reading that little bit. We just have to learn to sell ourselves and our characters, I guess. If you really want to be published, google copywriting and teach yourself a little. It can't hurt.

All I want to do right now is write. And not that stupid research paper. I've been following the Secret Agent on Miss Snark's First Victim and it has me wanting to completely rewrite my opening. And rethink my entire premise... haha.

My last Monday at this job. I'm a grad assistant, so when I graduate, the job (that gives a small stipend and paid for my tuition) is over too. I'm looking forward to a do-nothing summer, but wish I had something lined up for the fall.

3 comments:

  1. The universe works : ) Everything will be fine ... just keep writing : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow two out of three? You're not by chance a future literary agent are you? How do you like your queries? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat to see you tried Nathan's challenge. Good for you. I thought about it, but decided I really don't have time. Oh, well.

    I've never heard of Miss Snark's First Victim. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

    Lynnette Labelle
    http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete