Sunday, April 5, 2009

I can hear the bells are ringing joyful and triumphant and I can...

Have you ever heard a song and wondered if the artist knew, if they felt the way the notes and the words came together -- if they realized they were making magic? The kind of song that would make women cry in cars or cause men to reevaluate their lives as they stand in line at the bank.

Do you think they knew? I think they did. Because I know when I'm writing something that will touch people. Don't think me vain, it happens so rarely, and usually in useless little snippets that I'll never use, but when it happens, I feel it. It's magic.

I wonder if Mike Doughty felt it when he wrote I Hear the Bells? He should have.

I hear the bells
They are like emeralds, and
Glints in the night
Commas and ampersands

5 comments:

  1. I think they know and hope to touch people. Anyway, I chuckled a little about men reevaluating their lives as they stand in line at the bank. I've never known a guy to succumb to lyrics. Maybe it's just a girl thing because I've definitely reevaluated mine in the supermarket. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hee, I pictured balding, chubby men, scratching their heads. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading The Poisonwood Bible, again, just so I can be with those kind of words. Words that alone are nothing special, but still, somehow, hit you hard. I think Barbara Kingsolver knew she was doing more than turning a phrase. Makes me want to rewrite everything I have ever written even though I know I could never get close to...

    "I had washed up there on the riptide of my husband's confidence and the undertow of my children's needs."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, i feel that i noticed you visited my website thus i got here to return the want?
    .I'm attempting to to find things to enhance my site!I suppose its adequate to make use of some of your ideas!!

    Also visit my website :: Cccam for openbox s10

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article provides clear idea designed for
    the new viewers of blogging, that genuinely how to do
    blogging and site-building.

    Here is my blog post - half price sky tv discount code

    ReplyDelete