Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Avoidance is the mother of invention

I'm fighting depression. Mostly because I just don't have time for it right now. In two weeks, I will sleep all day and wear sweatpants and watch sad movies and tell everyone that I could'a been a contender.

But today, today I write and I do not feel like I am missing anything by not attending the graduate dinner tonight where my colleagues will receive so many awards that, had I been there, I would have had to help them carry them all to their cars.

No, I will not.

Nor will I think about the amazing food that will inevitably be eaten. Or the loneliness of having a husband who is part assistant principal and part baseball coach. Nope.

I will avoid the cesspool of self pity glimmering like those wavy mirages on hot desert roads just ahead.

What are you avoiding today?

3 comments:

  1. You could watch AI with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a contender, Laura : )!!!!

    We all wallow in self-pity sometimes. Just don't let it last too long ... : ) : ) : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to say the things you are depressed about aren't really depressing things... they're normal things! But I know that doesn't help depression because that never helped my anxiety. Just hang in and write a novel this summer. It's really easy. It's fun the whole way and after a few months are passed you're like, whoa, all of that makes a novel? And then you let it sit for a long time, and then you read it again and know exactly how you should fix it. It's easy! You'll be doing it soon.

    ReplyDelete