Tuesday, April 28, 2009

All together now -- Where do you get your ideas?

If I have to write another cover letter or another word on Emerson and O'Connor, I may just lose my ever-loving mind.

It's discouraging out there, folks. It's tough pickins.

But I picked up my cap and gown today. :) I promise to post a pic after Saturday because I'm a HUGE dork like that.

So. Once we're all famous, everyone will ask us where we get our ideas -- it's the one question all writers field. What will your answer be? As to where I am when I have them, that's easy -- they come when I'm farthest from paper and pen or computer -- when I'm driving, showering, or just about to drift into sleep.

If not a literal where, then I'd say my ideas almost always come from "What if?" Nearly every idea I've ever had started with "What if..." and so on.

3 comments:

  1. So excited for you : )

    I have no idea where my ideas come from, actually. It's like they are gifts ... or dreams ... or a mythological muse writing through me.

    This sounds weird, but it's almost as though I get in a trance when I'm writing. Although I do a lot of planning ahead in my mind, I very frequently end up in a very different place when I stop my frenetic rate of typing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cap and gown? How exciting!!!! Congrats! BTW, I get mine from the idea store. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get my best ideas from childhood, which came from books I read over and over, fractions of those books that I read so much I memorized them. And then daydreamed them.

    ReplyDelete