Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Did you wear your green today?

We revert, obviously.

When I was in elementary school, you wore green on St. Patrick's Day. The truth is, I've always been a little cluttered as a person, even back then. I'd forget things. And when you forgot St. Patrick's Day and didn't wear green, the whole day was torture: people pinching and teasing, and I would just feel "off" from everyone else.

Last night, I reminded my 12-year-old to wear green today, lay out a shirt, so he wouldn't forget. His look was indulgent as he said, "Mom... that's so old school," and shook his head.

Yet, when I entered work this morning, wearing my green shirt and green heart necklace, I'm immediately greeted with a cheery, "You remembered your green!" From a lady old enough to be my mother wearing a sparkly green scarf and clover earrings. Another coworker, a man around my age, is sporting a clover-filled bow-tie. I'm so glad I remembered my green-- or I'd have heard about it all day.

Someone a few cubicles over just said, "Top o' the mornin' to ya!"

I'm just sayin'.

p.s. a man in a cubicle behind me just said, "Last night I dreamed I had a huge cat. I mean, it was taller than me." He then said, "Fortunately..." and I missed the rest. I really wish the lady in the cubicle diagonal to mine hadn't picked that moment to cough... So... Fortunately... I was even huger?

3 comments:

  1. I'm wearing green!!!!!!! BTW, I can't help but eaves drop on people. I think as writers were hardwired that way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that cracked me up : )

    I got pinched repeatedly today. Evidently, in middle/high school, if you don't wear green on St. Paddy's Day, you've earned a pinching.

    The worst thing was (and this is probably TMI, so feel free to stop reading here), I realized about an hour into the day that my undies were in fact green, so I got a bunch of pinches I didn't deserve. I wasn't going to let them know the truth, though : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids colored their hair green for St Pat's Day. They were the only ones. I guess being Irish in MA is a little redundant. We didn't get that memo.
    Erin go braugh!

    ReplyDelete