Thursday, March 26, 2009

Cream or Sugar?

The smell of coffee is so strong on the floor at work today. It smells more like they're brewing it in the center than the tiny kitchenette over in the very far corner.

And the smell is mom and dad. My parents were here for a couple of days; they leave today while I'm at work, which is unsettling. I won't be there to see them off and wave as their lights grow smaller in the rain.

My husband and I never got into the habit of drinking of coffee — he's a natural morning person, and I cling to Diet Coke until my eyes adjust. Mom and dad are both avid coffee drinkers, opening with several cups and winding down with a few de-caffs before bed. The smell of coffee is encouraging; it's home.

2 comments:

  1. I love the smell of coffee but don't really drink it. Sorry Starbucks. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad is cigarettes. While my kids turn away from smoke or simply hold their breath until it passes, I inhale. Can't help it. Smells like my dad, safety, childhood, love. Of course, coffee would have been healthier, for both of us.

    ReplyDelete